CalSAE Conference: “Beyond Workshops & Webinars: Tools to Move People to Action”
April 28 @ 1:45 pm - 2:45 pm
THIS SESSION IS PART OF THE CalSAE “ELEVATE” CONFERENCE
We want our learning program to leave people doing things differently. We deliver events, like workshops and webinars, to close a knowledge or skill gap that holds people back. But there is more to moving people to action than learning. Someone can take action because they get the right sample document at the right time. A simulation can reframe an issue and offers solutions. A game can spark a conversation that wouldn’t have otherwise happened. An effective learning strategy is a constellation of learning events and an intentional suite of supporting resources and activities. Let’s go beyond workshop and webinars to examine how tools can empower your people to do what you need them to do.
See how one association has centered action in its learning program. Learn the 4+3 framework for action and how it translates into three kinds of action tools:
- BRIDGE-TO-ACTION TOOLS. You don’t have time for them to forget what you teach them, so let’s explore what tools you can offer to help them bridge information to action.
- DIY TOOLS. It is amazing what people can do when they start with template, sample, or directory where a lot of the work has already been done for them.
- SOCIAL TOOLS. You can’t teach about nonprofit boards without a board game, can you? Amp up social interaction on content so that people have conversations that they wouldn’t otherwise have.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Explain the four barriers and three accelerators of action.
- Name one “action planning tool” you could implement to help your people remember what you are teaching them and plan what action they’ll take.
- Name two key documents that would accelerate action for your people.
- Explain how any of these types of tools could support your current learning program.